Permaculture Design Services
Creating sustenance in your landscape
Farm manager, Shawn Jadrnicek has decades of experience (and has written a book about!) harnessing natural systems to reduce the effort required in a sustainable ecosystem. Through our design services, we help you clarify a vision for your land and integrate a nurturing design onto your property. A bio-integrated greenhouse, for example, doesn’t just extend the season for growing vegetables; it also serves as a rainwater collector, a pond site, an aquaponics system, and a heat generator.
Through our permaculture design services, Shawn will teach you how to design and build a wide range of bio-integrated projects -see below for some examples of what this includes!
All of following phases are offered in a complete design package or as individual design services.
PHASE 1 : Desk research + Phone consultation
You provide your property address and goals or scope of work for the land, and we get our hands dirty in research. We remotely assess the climate, topography, soils, predominant winds and sun angles of your land. We synthesize our findings and during a scheduled 90 minute phone conversation, walk through our recommendations regarding the greatest opportunities and challenges for your property related to your vision.
PHASE 2 : Site Visit
Shawn walks your property with you, exploring which permaculture design strategies and techniques could be most appropriate for your given environment. This is a verbal assessment with recommendations and rough sketches where appropriate. Useful resources are always provided and/or recommended reading and website links supplied.
PHASE 3 : Farm Design (Framework and/or full design)
We create a permaculture design including a written assessment, a basemap of the property with the design sketched upon it, and a written summary of recommendations. Prices vary by property size and complexity of the design desired.
- Framework: Assessment, analysis, and design recommendations with basemap (along with a general plant list)
- Full Design: Assessment, analysis, design recommendations, specific plant list with suppliers and implementation timeline, estimated cost analysis for complete implementation
Note: The full amount invested in either a Phone Consultation or a Site Visit will be deducted from the price of a Permaculture Design if purchased later.
Examples include but are not limited to the following:
- Soil fertility techniques (e.g., cover cropping, compost, pastured chicken system, etc.), placement of roads/swales/ponds
- Energy saving techniques (e.g., compost heat extraction, reflecting ponds, hydronic heating, etc.)
- Income generating plants
- Water flow, filtration, and irrigation (e.g., water-storage ponds, aquaculture, multipurpose basins, innovative rainwater-harvesting systems that supply water for drip irrigation and flushing toilets)
- Greenhouses construction & hydroponics